Donations and Memberships
This is a story that needs living symbols so people remember [the internment of Japanese Canadians] happened in Canada. We need to show the world that we are not afraid to hide from our history, and we can work towards reconciliation among our own citizens.
Help Historic Joy Kogawa House make its mark – as a literary landmark and a symbol of hope, healing, and reconciliation for all Canadians.
Donations from the community also remain vital. Donations are used to fund:
- public events at the house that grow the appreciation of literature
- house tours to build public understanding of the internment of Japanese Canadians during the Second World War and its ongoing relevance
- author residencies, which further the practice of outstanding Canadian writers and connect them with the local community
- the upkeep and preservation of this unique facility of historic and cultural significance.
Canadian Charity Registration #84169 9218 RR0001
Use the button above to make secure donations via PayPal. Your donations will help us to maintain our programs and the house itself.
Membership is another way to show your support of our programs. Your Historic Joy Kogawa House Society membership connects you with community, writers and the house.
Receive member discounts, invitations to exclusive member events and a quarterly newsletter.
We have three levels of membership:
- Annual membership: $25
- Supporting membership: $100 (you will receive a tax receipt for $75)
- Student Membership: $15 (a photocopy of a valid ID from an accredited institution is required).
Become a Member
The destruction of the Kogawa home would be a great loss of cultural heritage for Vancouver, for British Columbia, and for Canada.
The built environment of the past is particularly fragile. […] This is an occasion when delicate human memory requires the solid three-dimensional frame of a house to endure and to flourish.